2016-17 Eastport Comprehensive Plan Update / Age Friendly Community Action Plan Meetings
Regular meetings are held from 5:30-7:30 PM; 4th Thursday of every month, Library at Shead High School
Next Meeting - Thursday, April 27, 2017
Economics Chapter input after committee review
2004 Policy Review for 2017 Policies
Plan Vision meeting
Eastport Comprehensive Plan Update
Eastport's current Comprehensive Plan was written in 2004. Since then, much has changed and a great deal more information is available about Eastport. This includes the 2010 Census, the 2014 American Community Survey, a record of civic investments, new and different businesses, and all kinds of digital (no longer just paper) maps of natural resources.
The Comprehensive Plan Update pulls together information on a wide-range of community issues to assess trends and establish town policies.
Age Friendly Community Action Planning
The City of Eastport is preparing the 2016-17 Update of the Comprehensive Plan in conjunction with the preparation of an Age Friendly Community Action Plan. Both initiatives are supported by several sources including:
- a grant from the AARP $8000
- technical assistance resources provided to the Washington County Council of Governments including resources provided by their contract with the Municipal Planning Assistance Program of the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (estimated value of $1500); their contract with the Maine Department of Transportation (estimated value of $3500)
- a portion of Eastport's Municipal dues to WCCOG spanning two years (estimated value of $2000)
AND a volunteer committee appointed by the City Council in June of 2016 and will actively meet over the course of the next 12 months.
Ways in Which Eastport Community Members Can be Involved
Community members are invited to participate in the Comprehensive Plan Update and the Age Friendly Community Action Plan process. This supported in the following ways:
- A city-wide survey, open for input from September 2016 through January 25, 2017, sought input on both Comp Plan and the Age Friendly Community issues.
- Not everyone can go online — so paper copies were available at the City Hall offices.
- Survey questions were also asked at meetings of the Eastport Senior Center.
- The Planning Committee itself is composed of a broad cross section of individuals from the city including the Planning Board, City Council, municipal officials, and representatives from local businesses and civic organizations.
- The activities and draft documents of the Comprehensive Plan Committee are posted here as they are drafted, and public comments are welcome!
- Contact any of the Planning Committee members, join the committee, attend a meeting or call staff for the project: Judy East 454-0465.
The Comprehensive Plan draft chapters will be posted below as they are developed and reviewed by the Comprehensive Plan Committee.
|Latest Draft Date|
Cover and Table of Contents
Chapter A. Executive Summary, Community Vision and Public Participation
Chapter B. Cultural and Social Resources (AARP Maine Caregiver Guide)
|Dec 20, 2016|
|Oct 20, 2016|
|Sept 30, 2016|
|March 24, 2017|
|Oct 21, 2016|
Chapter G. Recreation Resources
|Nov 1, 2016|
Chapter I. Public Facilities and Services (Ramp Up Idaho PPT)
|Dec 20, 2016|
Chapter J. Fiscal Capacity
Chapter K. Land Use
Chapter L. Regional Coordination
Chapter M. Age Friendly Community Action Plan — 8 Domains of Livability
Chapter N. Comprehensive Plan Policies and Implementation Strategies
Chapter O. Public Opinion Survey
State Review Questions
|Map 1. Location of Eastport in Washington County|
|Map 2. Treasures of Eastport|
|Map 3. Eastport Public Facilities and Services|
|Map 4. Topography, Steep Slopes & Floodplains|
|Map 5. Soils Classifications|
|Map 6. Water Resources and Public Accesses|
|Map 7. Land Cover|
|Map 8. Critical Resources|
|Map 9. Marine Resources Transportation|
|Map 10. Transportation|
|Map 11. Regional Transportation Linkages|
|Map 12. Existing Zoning|
|Map 13. Future Land Use|
|Appendix A. Public Opinion Survey and Written Comments|
|Appendix B. Growth Management Strategies from 2004 Comprehensive Plan|
|Appendix C. State Policies|
|Appendix D. Evaluation Measures|