Growing Mussels, Oysters, and Seaweed
Interested in growing mussels, oysters, or seaweed?
Now is a great time to diversify your income with aquaculture.
The Island Institute is working to help fishermen and other business people from throughout Maine diversify into shellfish and seaweed aquaculture.
We are now accepting applications to be part of our third Aquaculture Business Development program.
Starting in April 2019, our staff will work with members individually and as a group to:
- Figure out whether they really want to get into this business
- Connect with existing resources
- Work on a business plan
- Work through the lease application process
- Connect with potential buyers
- Understand gear and how it works
- Visit aquaculture operations in Maine and southern New England
- Deal with other things that come up
If you are currently fishing, aquaculture can fit well into your existing livelihood.
There is no cost to the program, and fishermen and small business people from island and rural coastal communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information about the benefits of participating and to download an application, visit:
With questions, call: Stephenie MacLagan, (207) 745-3371 or James Crimp, (907) 440-6703