Regional Transportation Planning
As the state designated Regional Planning Organization (RPO) for Washington County, WCCOG works with Maine DOT and other transportation stakeholders on various regional transportation planning projects. Recent statewide coordination and regional transportation planning efforts include:
- Transportation Infrastructure in Support of Economic Development (off site link to GROWashington-Aroostook regional planning initiative)
- Strategic Transportation Investments
- Eastport Rail - Port connectivity and, with GIS mapping support, rail to port alternatives analysis
Other useful regional and statewide transportation plans:
SIPCRES (Strategic Investment Priorities for Corridors of Regional Economic Significance) (PDF 464 KB) 3/19/2007
Maine DOT Long Range Plan [link]
Maine DOT Six Year Plan (2010 - 2015) (PDF 1.2 MB) 4/19/2009
- Biennial Capital Work Plan for FY2012-2013 - Washington County Projects (PDF 1.7MB)
Route 1 Mobility and Safety Analysis
Route 1 is the primary transportation corridor for coastal Washington County, Route 1 and Route 1A provides vital transportation links for freight and for commuter and tourist traffic moving into, out of, and through coastal Washington County.
Municipal land use regulations must play a role in preserving the corridor’s ability to serve as a regional transportation artery. At the same time, design solutions that facilitate the separation of freight from commuter and tourist traffic are also needed to maintain an adequate level of service.
This report identifies three primary strategies for separating freight from commuter and tourist traffic:
- improved turning access to facilitate separation of commuter and through-traffic;
- additional scenic pull-offs to facilitate separation of tourist and freight traffic; and
- the addition of passing lanes.
Click here to download a PDF (2.9 MB) version of the report.
For more information, contact Judy East at 454-0465.